May 25, 2010

"Boots, chaps and cowboy hats…. nothing else matters." - Cowboy boots for the summer

A few minutes ago I was contemplating on what to wear tomorrow. It dawned on me that I haven't worn my cowboy boots in months, and after begging my mom to rush me to the mall at 8:50 p.m. to get those boots (yes 10 minutes before the mall closed) I realized I MUST get at least one more wear out of them before summer really breaks in. I did a little research on how to and how NOT to wear your boots for the summer..
  
Do's and Dont's (wearevertheweather.com) :

·DO wear them with a lightweight sock. Make sure if you wear longer ones that they don’t peek over your boots.


·DO try to break them in if they are new. There are a few tricks out there where you might risk ruining your boot so your best bet is to use a shoe tree, stuff the shoes with newspapers, or protect your feet during the first few wearings to prevent blisters on your heels, ankles, or toes.

·DO try them on with everything. From dresses to shorts, tailored to casual, these days western boots are slowly becoming as ubiquitous as its western pant counterpart, the jean.

·DON’T wear cowboy boots with any hint of winter (shear ling, furry lining, etc.). The point is to maintain the cool look of the boots while keeping as cool as possible. A smooth and almost light leather work well in warmer weather and don’t make people wanna reach for a Popsicle.

·DO visit vintage and second-hand stores for a great deal on boots that are already broken in for you! Sometimes chain stores like Urban Outfitters has cool vintage finds – find one in your size and you know it’s meant to be!
Below are some images of some cowboy boots I'd wear in the summer and how to wear them...

Vanessa Hudgens pairs her boots with a black romper.
Melody from "The Pussycat Dolls" pairs her boots with a tank top, a spandex skirt, and a really cute fringed bag. Something I'd wear at night.
My fave daytime look, Sienna Miller pairs her boots with a long flowy top, short shorts, and a vest.
Hayden Panettiere wears her boots with shorts and a loose fitting tank. This is more of a simple look.
Nicole Richie pairs hers with sheer tights, a flowy dress, and a cardigan. This should probably be worn on a windy day due to all the layers.