Jun 24, 2011

Envy shoots at others and wounds itself.

The other day while it was storming I thought it'd be a perfect time to do some writing. Just some stuff that came to mind that I needed to get down on paper. I wanted to share it with you all so that it can give you something to think about. I had to shorten it because originally it was 4 pages long and I didn't want to bore you all to death...

As teenagers whether we want to believe it or not, we compare ourselves to our peers. This can sometimes be referred to as “hating”, “envy”, or “jealousy”. Which leads me to the question, is it okay sometimes to envy a person to a certain extent?

This “bittersweet” feeling can be because we wish we had friends like some of our peers, drove some of the same cars, had cooler parents like them, or in most cases intelligence and beauty like some people. Which is something I’ve noticed is very common amongst high school students. For example, I was talking to an old friend whose modeling career has become very successful. She’s been in fashion shows for some of New York’s top designers, been featured on television shows, commercials and national ads. I was very happy for her but I caught myself feeling a little envious of her. I thought that I deserved to be the one with a great modeling career since I’ve been modeling longer than her. But reality set in and I realized it was fair. I hadn’t even properly invested in myself as a model so why would anyone else?

At this point I realized it was ok to have role models but you should NEVER have the slightest bit of envy toward someone no matter what. Envy is a sign of weakness and there is no weakness in success. The lesson learned from this is to handle your business, stay strong, and work hard and you’ll never have the chance to feel envy towards anyone. So to answer my question I’d have to say no, it’s not okay to envy someone at all.

No comments: